Sunday, August 7, 2011

Plus de Tate Modern


The above immediately is an Anish Kapoor work which was placed in front of a Bacon painting. This was a nice thing about looking at the art here, is that they tried to draw comparisons of the works and have them reflect (in this case literally) each other. A nice idea though I don't know how much it actually makes a comparison or brings to light new thoughts regarding the work.
The second photo from the bottom is a series of LED screens that emit a pink light and as you can see on the floor blue statements which scroll very similarly to ticker tape. The statements are ironical, and somewhat forced, but the light it casts is beautiful; cold pink and warm blue.
The third from the bottom is a recreation of the artist's (Do Ho Suh) apartment in Chelsea. Instead of looking at the art all I could think was, this guy has a duplex, in Chelsea, what? So much for suffering for art. At the same time I was amazed by the technical prowess of his art, as well as the idea of install folks in recreations of places near and dear to him. But again, Chelsea? (I chuckle in my head, I am sure he deserves it.) 
And then the top photo is of the famous Turbine room, which I am sad to say, was not filled with art. I hear that when they had Olafur Eliasson's installation The Weather Project, it was mind blowing. The waterfalls in NY, were nice, but didn't blow me away. Also, one time I heard that they placed large brass slides in the room, that could've been cool too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment