Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ah! Mmm...Sterr? Damn!

 
 So this is pretty much how it started. We got off of the Thalys train from Paris, which took only a 3 hour ride. Out of the Centraal Station towards the water as that is where my google map on my phone decided we needed to go to. A very nice Dutch lady helped us figure out which ferry we needed to take and off we went. Across the sound, or bay, it wasn't a canal as it was way too wide, we noticed it was a bit run down, crunchy and very Williamsburg, Brooklyn looking, which to me made my heart sing. It just ended up being grungy, but we made it towards the right place, and near our hotel. It was cool to see this Russian sub parked next to our hotel. We turned around after we attempted to check in, and started walking around, and immediately fell in LOVE with the hand painted signage. I mean, its not even a font, it completely freehand, uneven and wonderful!

 Oh dear...
 I am in love
 Amstel never looked so good.
 I have carved a couple of things in my day. This is no easy feat, was probably completely freehand carved by a master mason, and look at the tops of the "A". It is a broken line, requiring several chops and taps.
 This pretty much typifies the dutch weekend ethic. This is strung between a tree and a lightpost, and just says, heck yeah world. I am taking the day off.
 creepy. but so good. I love the repetition of things.
 This is about as close to the Rijksmuseum as there was a line forever long. It is pretty from the outside and they have a glockenspiel which chimed every 15 minutes or so, quite nicely.
 I didn't even wonder what was on tap. I was lost at the window.

 Here my brain nearly exploded. You can see me in my shroud of Turin refelction that I am agog, mouth open, looking at this paint as well as the french polish on the door. Kaboom, and fizzle, there goes the cerebellum.
 This is fun, as the buildings are parallel to the canal, but if you look behind the facade they are at an oblique angle from the face, kind of like a fun drawing you do when talking on the phone forever. Lots of directional cubes.

 This is probably called the kiddiewågjon. A fun way to tote them or stuff around.
 Continental Botel breakfast.
 Thar she blows, Botel, the hotel on a boat. It was funny, and I am really glad we didn't leave our stuff there in the morning when they said we couldn't leave our things in our rooms.
Centraal station, a bit earlier than we had planned, but it was a needed thing to get home again. Amsterdam is great if you're looking to pay for sex, see some drugs, and smoke your brain away.

No comments:

Post a Comment